Thread: To Whip or Not?
View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2011, 08:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Very well explained, erykah. Sort of like the tactics we used when handling stabled weanlings here, and down on a big stud I worked at. Take in a stick and whenever it shows you the rump, a (gentle)tap it to make it go forward, leave it alone and sweet talk it when it faces you. For an outright kick, sure, I agree, a good crack to make them think again. My husband's hackney gelding(gone to God) once turned (on the lunge) and kicked him so hard in the chest that it dropped him, and the guy who found him unconscious said he was a dreadful colour. He's probably lucky to be alive. Dangerous animals due to all that weight and strength. Even being flattened by one hitting you hard is bad enough, without a bite. Had a TB filly, a 2 year old, spook at something, get behind me, then leap straight into my back as I was leading her. Wow! But, maybe that is better than being hit from the front. Less chance then to break your fall, not that I did have any time to break that fall come to think of it. LOL..