Thread: cat whiskers
View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Catlover2

You'll likely have to keep clipping off this one whisker as it will likely grow the same way as before.

As far as cats without whiskers needing them to balance and bump into things at night? This is an "old wives' tale" or something. My two Devon Rexes have very short twisted whiskers, and Sphynx the same or even less so. Both these breeds are extremely athletic, and my Devons have absolutely no balance problems at all, nor do they bump into things at night. I have a railing that goes along stairs, and I used to have fits that they would fall off the railing and land way down the stairs. In 6 yrs. it's never happened (not to say it might not), but I no longer worry about it when I see them getting into their chase games and try to knock each other off the railing.

Another thing about balance myths is that cats need a tail to balance. Never had problems with Manx and I had a lot of them for many years. Naturally bobbed-tailed cats, like Lynx and Bobcat, don't have a problem balancing either. The shorter body length compensates for the tail.