View Single Post
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Because this isn't a case of aggression imo. If the story was about a Golden Retriever killing a squirrel, would it make the news? How about a Labrador killing a bird? A cat killing a mouse? For all we know, the dog could have viewed the Shih Tzu as prey.

Not too long after we first adopted Lucky, I had taken him for a walk and, out of nowhere, a wee little black fluffball perhaps all of 5 lbs, came zooming up to us. No barking, not a sound came out of it. Lucky instantly grabbed it by the back of the neck and was about to shake when I screamed, "drop it!" Fortunately for us, he did and the little dog didn't seem hurt. He then sniffed the dog, wagged his tail, and gave it a play bow (owner of dog was shoveling his driveway and witnessed the entire incident). I'm sharing this to show that Lucky didn't even realize that this was another dog at first. He just acted instinctually. Perhaps the same could be said of the dog in the article.

What happened is tragic but, it boils down to the irresponsibility/ignorance of the humans involved. All dogs can kill, plain and simple, regardless of breed. I just wish everyone was aware of this and took steps to prevent such accidents.
Thanks, LP. I've often wondered how big dogs recognize small dogs as dogs because they really look so different, so maybe they don't at first .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey