View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
So....Could we at least agree on one thing here. And that is: we want better understanding of how dogs are greeted/ socialized in civil society.

I'm taking baby-steps here...with a plan.

Those of us, who would like to see dogs as welcomed parts of civil society ~ please contribute to the discussion.

Nonetheless...What's okay in your town/city? Do you leave your dog outside the No Frills while you shop for an hour or is it okay to bring her in to Desjardins? Or, is it best to leave the little monster at home?
I personally don't believe that dogs have any place in a store or mall unless it is a working dog, OR some kind of pet event.

I also won't leave my dogs outside of any location, mostly just because I'm paranoid that someone will take them.

IMO what this all comes down to is bearing the responsibility as an owner and ensuring we understand our dogs - including fears/aggressions and what triggers them. We cannot "assume" that everyone will know proper dog etiquette.

My dog Tippy is extremely afraid of men. I cannot count how many men will approach us and ask to pet her. I always ask them not to, and the majority of guys will give me the "Oh animals LOVE me" line and attempt to pet her regardless of my initial warning - until she instantly bares her teeth, begins to cower and I have to physically step between her and the person (who usually look a bit surprised by her reaction, go figure.)

Tippy has not yet bit anyone, but I honestly think she could if pushed. When we are out in public, I am constantly on gaurd....because I know that even though people still understand that they need to *ask* before petting her, some still try it when I say no.
I have to be on my toes at all times when we are out in public, and she is getting better around men - slowly but surely. But if she did bite anyone, while on my watch, I would take full responsibility for it and not put the blame on the other person - EVER. I am the one who my dog needs to be able to rely on, I am the one responsible for making sure things like that don't happen, I am the one that needs to bring my dog home safely after choosing to take her outside in the public, in the first place.

But that's just me.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)