View Single Post
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrocky1
But breeds of dogs aren't distinquishable by DNA they are all K9, so are you saying that they can be shown to be "related" to another "pit bull"? Im not clear as this is the first time Ive heard this. I think what your saying is that if a dog, any breed, were related to another dog, any breed, then that could be proven through DNA. If so, if Lilys parents were a pure bred boxer and a pure bred lab then if that could be proven through DNA she could not be a Pit bull. Or have I misunderstood?
From what I understand (CyberKitten maybe can explain this):

There is nothing to say that a lab is different than a pit in DNA. However if you have DNA from the mother you can prove to a certain degree that the pups are from that mother or at least related to that mother.

So if you had Lily's parents you could prove she is their offspring. Of course they would have to accept that the boxer and the lab were exactly that.

Found this link: http://www.akc.org/dna/index.cfm

The AKC DNA Database and Parentage Verification

Comparison of the DNA profiles of a dam, sire, and pup(s) will determine, with greater than 99% confidence, whether the pups are from the tested dam and sire. The AKC DNA database examines the parentage of all AKC DNA Certified registered dogs and litters whelped on or after January 1, 2000. When problems are discovered, the DNA staff works with breeders to determine correct parentage at the breeder's expense.
Furthermore, AKC DNA Profiles cannot determine the breed of a dog.

CK?

Last edited by twodogsandacat; May 30th, 2005 at 10:45 AM.