View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Welcome insitent

I have 2 Malamutes. Both Huskies and Malamutes require a lot of work and both are energetic breeds. One of the biggest differences between the 2 is energy level as they mature. Huskies tend to remain energetic even when they mature. Malamutes become more "dignified" and tend to settle down and mature around 3. Huskies are the more energetic of the 2. Huskies are also smaller with more of a "delicate" build, while Malamutes tend to be quite a bit larger with a very sturdy build. Both have their challenges, one being a very high prey drive and another being intelligence. If you don't keep them challenged both physicaly and mentally, they can be very destructive. You need to keep them from getting bored
If you do get either breed, I would recommend socializing with small dogs and children from the time it's a pup. Even with the socialaztion, I would never leave it alone with either one. Also, they like to wander. Some people will tell you that a Mal and Husky can be trained for 100% recall, but I would never let either one off leash. Both breeds are very independant and definitely have a mind of their own, regardless of how well they're trained. We chose to go with the Malamute because they are just so dignified and regal once they do mature, and again, the energy level is much lower. Just make sure you do some research on both breeds as many of them end up in shelters because people think they're beautiful but don't take the time to get to know the breed. In fact, there are several rescue groups for northern breed dogs. I'm sure you can find what you're looking for there!

Good luck!!

Robyn

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012

Last edited by Rgeurts; May 9th, 2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Spelling