View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Preplanning makes success

NSAIDs - Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs - Answered by Dr. Lee

Sorry this is long- I just want to make it clear what's going on.

My pup is Schroder, a 10+ yr old beagle cross with three legs and some arthritis. Up until recently, he was taking 100 mg of Rimadyl x 1/ day That prescription ran out, the vet refill was 25 mg of Deramaxx x1/day.

I don't know if it's related to the switch in pills, which happened last monday if memory serves, but he's been acting "off" since Monday, I guess.

He often refuses some walks with hubby (he usually goes for 10 min. walks 4 times daily - although he can take as long as he wants on them, and has lots of opportunites to stop and sniff, etc) but used to always go with me. Usually when anyone comes over to him - morning/ night/ whatever, he either wiggles up to them to greet them, or rolls over for belly rubs.

This Monday, he refused his pain pill- I figured no big deal, he's missed a day here and there before without it being a big problem (i.e., I couldn't tell he'd missed it at all, then hubby realizes at 10 pm that he forgot to give the pain pill). Schroder refused his two later walks with hubby- no big deal, he's been doing that a lot more recently, just pees and comes right back in. He didn't eat too much either, as far as I can tell. He seemed lethargic, but I assumed he was just a bit uncomfortable.

Tuesday morning, I go over to wake him up for his walk, and he can't sit up or even roll over, he just seemed too weak. I figured he was in pain from missing his pain pill and brought one to him. Later afternoon, he seemed alright. My husband took him on the two two mid-day walks. He refused his late-night walk - again, normal.

Same thing again this morning- couldn't push up into a sit, couldn't seem to roll over for belly-rubs, but an hour or two later he seems better but not the same.

Currently, he's wobblier than usual, he falls down more and seems to put more effort into getting up again, and he seems REALLY tired. Usually on our walks, he goes a good 3-4 houses and stops and sniffs, but never seems overly exhausted. Now he goes 5-10 feet (slowly) and stops and pants and rests for a bit, and then goes a bit further. He used to look happy on walks and motor along, now he's definitely hobbling and looks uncomfortable.

I called the rescue and left a voicemail today, I didn't want to do anything without their OK- but I plan on calling the vet tomorrow morning (no outgoing phones here at work, my cell has no service, etc) and I'm at work until midnight.

What do you think? I'm really concerned, and he just looks so sad (okay, he's a beagle... they always look sad.. but still!)

Foster Mom to
Tango- beagle mix, 4 yrs old
Schroder- beagle mix, 11 yrs old