View Single Post
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:19 AM

I just completed my cats' new (much larger) cat tree.

-I started out with the Ikea Gorm Storage unit (which I already had). Then purchased (all prices are Canadian):
$15.00 -3 additional shelves
$ 4.50 -6 end caps (so it doesn't scratch the hardwood)
$ 4.00 -2 110cm posts
$ 7.90 -2 50ft packs of sisal rope
$ 3.89 -staples for staple gun
free -carpet (lucked out)

So the final cost is $39.88... which was about the same price as my 2ft crappy cat tree (broke again today ... kinda fortunate that I finished the new cat tree today).

The hardest part (which wasn't that tough) was cutting the carpet and wrapping it around each shelf. I won't go into the details as carpeting has been covered in other posts. However, I will say that no power tools were used, just a staple gun and a box cutter. Okay, I'll come clean... I did use a power drill, but that was only to speed up the assembly.

This is probably an ideal solution for those who are looking to make a cat tree, but either don't own or don't know how to use power tools. Or like me who does own many power tools, but no place to use them. Condo living does have a few down sides.

Also the cat tree is modular. I can add/remove/relocate the shelves, add an addition, angle some of the shelves (this may require drilling), make it taller, etc. Mine is quite bland, but I plan to make the second highest shelf into a hideout, hang a hammock below that, and add a few more dangling toys.