View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2017, 01:07 AM

Some of these vets need a swift kick in the keister. Rabbit is not a meat you want to start a raw diet on, especially not with organs included. There's a reason why prey model raw starts out generally on chicken and bone only, because it's easy to digest. Starting out on rich food like rabbit - i'm not surprised you were dealing with diarrhea and dehydration - too much at one time. Organ meats are a big no no starting out.

Novel protein... Vets tend to claim that dogs are allergic ONLY to the meat protein in dog food (kibble), they simply can't wrap their head around the other ingredients causing the issues. To hell with all the other heavily processed ingredients in the dog food that the dog is likely intolerant to - or actually allergic to. Corn, soy, wheat etc.

Elimination diet... Is it possible to forget the "novel" aspect of the diet? At this point, you're not going to find a protein that is novel that your dog can eat safely raw. I would remove ALL of the veg and fruit - they are just sugar and carbs that your dog doesn't need, just chicken and bone - or turkey and bone - NO ORGANS!

My dog doesn't get fruit, doesn't get veggies, no carbs at all, no sugars as part of his diet. I'll give him a bit of ice cream or other treat occasionally but that's it. We'll run the off leash parks, after 2 or 3 hours I'm ready for a nap and he's just getting warmed up - no shortage of energy to burn.

Your dog will detox (for lack of a better word), it takes time to transfer to raw.