View Single Post
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Investigative researcher

Quote:
Genetics plays a crucial role when it comes to cancer as well. My grandfather smoked 3 packs a day and drank at least 3 litres of wine daily and lived to the ripe old age of 87 . All the members of my DH's family (his mother's generation) didn't smoke nor drink, led very healthy lifestyles...all died by the age of 50 due to cancer .
It is obviously the wine. The rest should have followed his example, maybe?

Seriously, cancer is the biggest threat to life on earth--thanks to us humans and the oblivious way we bombard the planet with deadly chemicals the moment we discover they are useful for one thing--as if side effects were a myth or something. Afraid the entire race is my least favorite earth life form, but that is another thread--or forum.
The poll won't find out much except perhaps how many of us feed kibble or raw or canned. The difference in quality of different types of food in each category makes it almost pointless to generalize. I feed kibble, have always fed kibble, have never had a cancerous tumor on or in an animal thus far to my knowledge. All my pets have lived, barring accidental death, until the upper end of their species lifetime, and I have never taken any of them to the vet for any illness--ever. Stitches, neutering, but no illness--and I only vaccinate in puppy hood and kitten hood.
I believe it is a combination of living in cleaner parts of the planet [until recently, but that is again another discussion], keeping animals well exercised, feeding the best quality kibbles I could find, and genetics. Plus a great deal of luck!