View Single Post
Old August 19th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Looking for a Reputable breeder.

Many of us on here know what to look for in a Reputable Breeder.But I just wanted to try and educate those who don't.

Reputable Breeders Show/Title their dogs.When I say Title,this could be in SchH,Herding,Agility,Flyball,Pointing,Retrieving.T his all depends on the breed.Showing their dogs to Champion means that they are of breed standard.

They also have thier dogs health and genetic tested/certified.This means OFA,OVC(Hips,Elbows)CERF'D(eyes,done by an Optomoligist)Heart(done by a Cardiologist)Thyroid.If their Dam does not pass any of the tests,they will not breed them.

They can tell you everything about the Dam and Sires Pedigree,and will supply you with Pedigree Papers.

They are registered Kennel.And registered with the Kennel Club.This could be the CKC(Canadian Kennel Club)or AKC.And are with good standing.

They belong to number of clubs for their breed.Be it National or Regional.

They will put you on a waiting list.This is done before the breeding takes place.They screen you and ask you a TON of questions.They will not give up their pups to any Joe Blow.They care where their pups are going.

They have written contracts.This is either a Non Breeding contract or a S/N contract.They will take back a pup they sold.

They will be there for you to answer any questions you have.Be it training,grooming,showing(if that's what you want to do)and also with any of the sporting trials you want to put your dog in.

They will gladly allow you to come check out their home.And once the pups are born,they encourage you to come and visit them.

They want to keep in contact with the new owner.And know how the pup/dog is doing.This even means 5,10 even 15 years down the road.

They breed to better the breed.They are not in it for the money.

They do not breed more than twice a year.And they do not breed their Dams under the age of 2.

They show passion and love for their dogs.And tremendous knowledge of their breed.And are very experienced.

They do NOT place ads in the newspaper or even under classified ads on the net.No reputable breeder does this.

I'm sure I have forgotten something.But this,in a nutshell is what a Reputable Breeder is.And this is know.I have dealt with an amazing breeder,whom I got my first GSD from at the age of 17.And when I lost him at 13,I got 2 more from her.Even though she is not showing/breeding(due to Cancer)I still keep in contact with her,and have that special bond with her.And I do visit her when I can.Her dogs were Champions and Titled in SCH III.And my current GSD made it as a K9 Police Dog.

So if anyone is wanting to seek out a Reputable breeder,PLEASE do your research.And keep what I have posted about them in mind.This is what you should be looking for.