View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
The first thing you need to recognize is that barking when someone is approaching your home is a very, very natural thing for a dog to do. She's warning you that someone is coming, and warning them that they are on her turf.
I know I wouldn't like water thrown in my face if I was trying to explain something to someone; I certainly wouldn't reccomend doing this to your dog either.
I personally am GLAD that my dogs bark when someone comes. Its their way of warning the entire family. But I also expect them to be respectful of guests, of myself, and *stop* barking when I tell them thankyou.

Has your lab mastered the sit/stay command? Does she have a bed, or a spot she can sit on (a specific rug or blanket) that you can direct her to when someone is coming?
I most certainly agree with Bailey.

Here's a wonderful way to teach your dogs the "place" or "bed" cue that doesn't use aversives and can be lots of fun to practice. You can replace a clicker by using a verbal "yes" or "great."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQzXd...eature=related

Start working with each dog separately. The more you practice, the quicker they'll get it. Once they've got it without distractions, have friends/family help you out by coming to the door. You can also put up a sign by your front entrance, "Please be patient, dogs in training" so visitors don't ring the bell or knock repeatedly.