View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2009, 12:24 AM

New Dog Owner Needing Adivce!

Hello, I am a brand new dog owner and just adopted a 2 yr old mini daschund a couple days ago. She is wire haired, spayed and has all of her shots. The family I adopted her from kept her mainly in a crate all day when they were away, they haven't trained her at all (didn't even own a leash!) and never really gave her much affection... She is very well behaved most of the time, and is very quiet, however there are a few things that have me worried:

1) She isn't trained at all! I have been giving her daily walks and have her on a harness, but she tugs at the leash constantly and wants to go where ever she likes. I'm trying to do corrections with her but it hasn't seemed to make a difference. Any Suggestions?

2) She seems to nip at other dogs that come up to greet her. When this happens, I usually give her a tug on the leash and say NO in a stern voice. I know this is a breed specific trait but is there any way to deter this? I've read you're not supped to introduce dogs when on leash but now I'm afraid of what she would do. She also barks/growls when someone comes to the door, but is generally friendly to people and children (the family I adopted her from had 3 small children)

3) I bought her "Royal Canin" Mini Daschund specific dog food, although she seems to love it... I'm wondering if there is a better food out there. I do want to keep her on dry food because I've heard it's best for their teeth.

4) Even though I've only had her for a few days she is VERY attached to me. My roommates told be that when I leave for work she whines and barks at the door for up to an hour. Is this separation anxiety? Also a few times when I've been cuddling her she tries to hump my arm. I usually say NO! and put her on the floor. Is this the right thing to do in this case?

5) Lastly she seems to be potty trained for the most part but has had a couple accidents since the move. I am thinking it just might be to the change in houses ect. but Im also a wondering if its due to all of the snow where I live... I currently work at a ski resort in Canada where it is quite cold! She seems to go pee outside fine but will wait until we are inside to poo. Could this be because of the cold or am I just not giving her enough time outside?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!