Thread: Dog Jealousy?
View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:07 AM
Senior Contributor

I think your best bet is to have him evaluated by a behaviorist.
It's hard to tell what the real deal is just from your description on here, even though it does sound like dominance.

My dominant dog has exhibited all these behaviors before, and will still try sometimes, though they're strictly NOT allowed. We also have 4 cats and another dog, so it is possible to keep other animals, and even another dog (or more), with a dominant dog.
A big thing in whether or not a second dog will work is how you are willing to handle your current dog.
Assuming it's dominance, when he gets petted, where he gets to sleep, when he gets to cuddle, etc., may have to be strictly controlled by you depending on his level of dominance (which can only be determined by an experienced behaviorist). For instance if he doesn't understand that he only gets petted when he's invited you have him trying to be pushy and get the other dog away from you when you're giving them attention.
Obviously any dogs will have some kind of dominance battles when a new dog comes into the household, but your dog and the way you handle him will be a huge factor in whether it turns aggressive or gets out of control.

Another thing is the personality of the 2nd dog. If your current dog is dominant bringing in another dominant dog is probably a BAD idea, so the 2nd dog will also have to be evaluated by itself and with your dog. The best bet would probably be to bring in a more submissive dog, considering your experience level in dealing with dominance. Two dominant dogs can be kept together but this is a more difficult task than a dominant + submissive dog, where the more submissive will probably not elicit the other dog to try and assert himself as often. (by submissive I don't mean extremely so, just a dog that doesn't care about asserting itself to other dogs).

I am slightly curious as to why they suggested your current dog be an only dog though. Nothing you've described is extremely out of the ordinary or what I would consider aggressive.
I think you need to figure out why they listed him as an only dog, because either there's something you're not aware of, or they were being overlycautious. Has he become aggressive before or shown anxiety/stress with other dogs?

Also, I agree that you may want to babysit another dog for a couple of days before inviting the behaviorist over, so they can actually witness the behavior. This is something a good behaviorist will probably discuss with you themselves though.