View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
Chow Pei Rescue

Hi Jasp

Sorry to hear about your situation. I really can empathize with your frustration.

Ok. Firstly, there is a relationship between the constant taking of antibiotics and the constant reoccurrence of infections. This can become a vicious circle... meaning shortly after you stop the antibiotics... the infection comes back. SIGN OF = fallen immune system

DID THIS DOG recently get vaccinated ( say within the past 6 weeks?)

Here is what I would do in your shoes.

#1- While this dog is on antibiotics I would give it acidolphilus pill each day with the antibiotic. This will help maintain the wanted flora in the intestines that are getting killed off by the antibiotics. It is THIS flora that helps digestion . If your dog cannot properly digest, then your dog cannot pull essential vitamins and minerals out of it's food.

#2 - do not under any circumstances offer any foods, including carrots, that contain SUGAR. Sugar helps grow bacteria and yeast. So no more carrots. If you want to give your dog a treat, give it a piece of dried meat, frozen organ or anything that is species appropriate ( and that's not man made foods).

#3 - If your dog is demonstrating a fallen immune system, you must increase EFA ( Essential Fatty Acids / Omega 3 + 6)... and that comes from fish oil.. not from flaxseed, not from cod liver oil, but from fish oil. You can either start to feed a sardine a day, or purchase wild salmon or krill oil, or 3 -fish oil at a health food store. I cannot tell you enough how much this will help your dog.

The fact that your dog is not drinking or eating is not a good sign and I would take this up with my vet immediately if i were you. It's true that some antibiotics cause this to occur, but it's essential that your dog stay well hydrated. If not, you're going to run into other problems.

You would be far better off giving your dog wet food at this point, and personally I get tired of hearing that people's dogs won't eat this or that. A hungry dog won't starve itself. Not ever. If your dog is hungry, it will eat literally anything, so keep offering the wet food, and when he's hungry enough, he'll eat it.

Fats are ok for dogs because that's where they get their energy from. Carbs are absolutely NO good, neither are soys, glutens or foods containing sugars.

I know that we often think we are not giving these items to our dogs, but it includes corners of morning toast, the odd bit of a sandwich or cracker or cookie. You have to cease giving any items like this to your dog and that includes most man made treats. Unless is a pure piece of meat, do not give it to this dog.

If you boil your turkey and other meats before giving it to your dog, you will need to offer some kind of vitamin source because cooking meat takes away most of the nutrional quality, so essentially the dog isn't eating very much. Try feeding it to him raw instead. He'll at least have maximum value that way. If you want to supplement with a high quality dog food, that's fine, but make sure it doesn't include any unwanted ingredients... and again.. in your case, wet food is probably a better choice.

If you have to flavour foods You can help the situation by sprinkling grated parmeasan cheese on some foods, or smear some green tripe, that usually really works, or flavor with a bit of melted butter.

Stay on top of the drinking though. That's a big deal. It's very possible that it's the pills that are causing this. and did the vet actually culture your dog's penis? Because male dogs do produce smegma, which is also yellow in colour, that does not mean it's pus. Usually if the smega is green that is a sign of infection, but yellow is normal. and FYI smega is a normal discharge from a penis. Maybe you are confusing the two?

Best of luck

MM

Anyways, that's what I would do in this case.