View Single Post
Old September 21st, 2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
What about feeding time when they're together. Do cats guard their food like dogs sometimes do? Should we try to keep them separate the first few meals?
Quote:
Do cats not fight over food? Dusty hooked a treat out from under JD's nose with her paw and he never so much as grumbled!
For the first year I fed my girls in separate rooms. About 6 months after I got Pixi I had tried them about 5 feet apart but they weren't ready then. A couple of months ago I moved Pixi out of the other room & set her up about 3 feet from Lilly, they're good now.

If one is finished faster than the other, there may be an attempt to nip at the ears or a bat to the head or just trying to shove her head in the dish. At that point the cat who's dinner is being hijacked will either stand their ground & finish or just walk away.

I have found that if the cats feel they are too close to each other they will pick up a mouthful of food out of the dish and eat it a couple inches away, then go back to the dish for more.

Quote:
JD was in a drowsy meatloaf posture and Dusty approached him. He reached up to sniff as she reached down to touch noses, all very amicable Then she batted him upside the head with her right paw! He flicked his ear, then turned his head away, and that was it! No retaliation!
Things are going good

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying