View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Kitty Consort

Red face A quarrel over kibble

I'm sure no pet food expert, but do know the differences between a good commercial pet food and a poor one.

My husband brought home two large unopened bags of dry cat food that a co-worker gave him yesterday, and happily presented them to me.
It was Meow Mix.
I didnt have to read the ingredients list to know that this was a poor food, and told him I would not feed our cats this.

He became kind of testy, rolled his eyes.. and said I fussed far "way" too much over this and lots of people used this food. I should just mix it in with the other, he felt, and insisted that two bags of food surely wouldnt harm them.
Maybe not, but how would it help them? They have food - their own food
I became kind of testy myself and told him,I'm not using it, I dont feel comfortable feeding it, end of story.

I realize he doesnt understand about what makes up pet food, but when the first ingredients of a food is chicken by-products meal followed by corn gluten meal and ground yellow corn. and it contains menadione - I dont want my cats consuming it.
It's a case of "once you know". My cats from years ago were raised on Purina Cat Chow. But that that then..

So, he doesnt understand, and thinks I am being ridiculous.
I dont really care, The feeding of our pets is my responsibility, and like all of you, I take it seriously.

So,even if lots of others might agree with him, I know you understand.

As I didnt find it on the recall list, and the expiry date is still good, I thought I might just donate it to the SPCA, but in all honestly, I dont even feel comfortable with that. The kitties there need good food too.