View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2005, 07:46 AM

Exclamation Bloody stool in cat

As an overly concerned pet owner, I would like to hear any information that you can provide me about bright red blood in stools. I have seen a vet about this.
A few months ago, I noticed a little bloody mucus in my cats stool. I took it to the vet, had a sample tested, and had an examination. Test came back normal, and he otherwise seemed healthy. About a month ago, I noticed it again, I took him again, with a stool sample. He had that tested, full blood work, another full examination, and an internal exam. All came back normal except for a very minor, non-worrying comment about how we should start checking his liver every year, as it was functioning a little slower than it should, but still in the normal range. I was not told that this could have any effect on what was currently happening. He is a happy cat, with no pain, good eating habits, as active as an 11 year old cat would be, and purrs 23 hours a day. He did receive some kind of shot to help stop the bloody diarrhea and in a day or so, he was back to normal. Again, last night I noticed the bloody mucus again, with diarrhea. This time I even noticed what I think was a blood clot in the mucus. Other that that, he seems perfectly fine. He's eating and purring, and feeling around his belly causes him no pain.
I don't want to panic about this and keep taking him for more tests, the only one I haven't done is an x-ray to look for foreign objects. I have also heard that in an otherwise normal happy cat blood in the stool is not that completely uncommon.
The only thing I can think of is that a couple of months ago, we got a new cat, who only ate Whiskas, and I guess this food seemed more appetizing to mine, within a couple of days he wanted that and refused to eat the Hill's that he's been on for 10 years. So, he's been eating Whiskas ever since. Last night, I tried to give him a few pebbles of the Hill's and he did eat it, so I'm thinking maybe he just needs to go back on the Hill's diet he's used to. However, I am equally worried that changing his diet, might make the situation worse. I think I could do a slow mixture change over a week, and that would work, I someone thinks this is a wise decision.
I am assuming the blood work, stool samples and physical exams would have picked up most diseases, or parasites, or found any lumps or bumps, so I don't know what else to do.

Thanks for any advise, or helpful information in advance.

Laurie