View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jln harm View Post
Is it bad to hiss back at a cat when he does it to you??
Yes. Cats typically hiss because they're stressed, and hissing back is just going to stress them out more. A better idea is talk calmly and soothingly in a fairly high-pitched (but not loud) voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jln harm View Post
Also, any ideas on how long to I wait until I try and hold him?? I don't want to force him, but I'm afraid if I wait to long, he might never let me..not just hold him, but touch him in general.
I really think it's too soon to consider holding him. I wouldn't even try until he's giving you head butts and rolling around in joy at getting pets, maybe even climbing in your lap. I have a cat (ex-feral) that will only tolerate being picked up for about 5 seconds max, and only when she's in a certain spot in the house and is being insanely affectionate. That's just the way it is. I accept that and don't push her boundaries. Some cats will never like the feeling of having their feet off the ground, and some take a long time to feel comfortable with it. My 20 yr old guy didn't become a lap cat until he was about 10 (and I've had him since he was a wee kitten), and now he absolutely adores getting carried around every morning by my husband. I'd say just go at a pace that Parker feels comfortable with. You'll have many years to get your cuddles in.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler