Thread: Sheeba cat food
View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Where would we be without finicky cats.
OK, you're all going to think I'm nuts, but my cat feeding regime is complex but for canned food it's worked for me for years.
My 3 indoor and one outdoor cat all demand variety, in canned and dry. The dry I have mainly orijen, but mix in fancy feast dry and kirkland dry. That's been working well for a number of months now. They got bored with nothing but orijen so I had to spice it up a bit.
Indoor cats get 1 bowl of dry each day between the 3 girls. Outdoor cats get 2 or more.
The fancy feast canned, I buy between 3 and 4 cases, (yes cases of 24 cans each), each week. One week I buy a case of tender beef, salmon and chicken and liver. The next week, I case of tender beef (obviously the favorite variety), tuna and grilled chicken and a case of turkey and giblets or beef and liver pate. All are pate varieties except for the grilled chicken, it's what they all prefer.
Hubby laughs at me because when I come home with the cases, I have to arrange all the food in stacks of six cans per stack alernating all the varieties, so the cats never get the same type (other than the beef sometimes) 2 meals in a row, or they'll turn there noses up at it. A few years ago, I used to toss out lots of uneaten cat food, not the case anymore. Inside and outside bowls are always cleaned up. They get a lot, 2 cans (yes 2 different varieties) in one bowl for both the indoor cats (1 bowl for 3 girls inside, 2 bowls for big male and neighbours cat and the strays outside.) Twice a day for the indoor cats, 3 times or more for the outdoor cats. Plus they all love those temptations cat treats, so they all get their own individual little pile of those each day. No fat cats, just happy cats and I'm happy I don't throw out uneaten food or worry about who isn't eating. The girls take turns eating and I make sure they are all eating and drinking, the outdoor cats are eating a lot in this cold weather and I make sure they all get enough.
I have a pantry dedicated to nothing but dog and cat food. It's always full, our human food pantry, no so
Our human food choices don't have the same variety either, can't afford it.

Cindy
You've got it down then! I can see I'm going to have to make some sort of similar deal here. For dry I've been feeding mainly Wellness for a while, but I started noticing yesterday not much eaten food. So I'd gone to the pet store and I did get for Maks Purina One kitten. I'd read that it has yogurt in the food for kittens sensitive tummies, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I mixed a little bit of that in with his food and did the same for everyone else, since they ALL eat bits out of each other's bowls.

I won't feel comfortable feeding Maks canned for a while, since his tummy just doesn't seem to handle it well. But I had been trying the variety of canned for the others. I was buying Nutro Max but they got tired of it.

They do like Fancy Feast, quite a bit actually. I may have to try your idea and see if that will work.

Now I've also got to buy some hairball remedy food because Kiska is having the same hairball issues as Oksana. I heard her doing the same kind of grunting noises Oksana makes when she's having issues.

I don't know if Kiska is too young to give Laxatone to, but I'm taking a basket to the vet's office later this morning so I'll ask them when I go.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/