View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2019, 10:01 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee-O-Gee View Post
Oh Hazel! Looking back, I wish I could turn back the hands of time. Last Spring, Mollie weighed in 4 lbs over the 55 lbs threshold for both heart worm and topical flea meds so she was bumped up to the extra large dose, not having a clue about the ramifications. Meanwhile, I put her on a reduce calorie food to get her weight back down to her 50 lbs and believe she was being over medicated with a high volume of the Ivermectin combined with the Imidacloprid and Permethrin.
You had no way of knowing. And besides, they still haven't proved the connection.

Our dogs might also be at higher risk because we dose them higher using the off-label method--though at a lesser dose than used to be recommended for that protocol. Hubby and I talked about it last night and I think we are going to go back to the Heartgard because it's a lower dose. We'll still need to use at least one yearly larger dose, though, because of the parasite load out here. But at least they'll be taking less ivermectin overall. Never hurts to be cautious at this point.

There really aren't too many alternatives for HW prevention now that this class of drugs is implicated.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Last edited by hazelrunpack; March 29th, 2019 at 09:42 PM.