View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:10 PM

She did have resistant UTI - but also a vaginal tumor

It's been a while since I was last on... thought I'd post an update.

At the follow-up appt (early March), she was still not bleeding, so we thought all was well. Urinalysis showed no blood in urine and a normal pH but a small amount of bacteria and WBC count still slightly elevated. So... back on a 3rd 2-week round of antibiotics, but it was looking like she was on the mend and we were hopeful that this final round of meds would wipe out all the bacteria so it wouldn't flare back up.

Unfortunately, on the 5th day of antibiotics, she once again started bleeding. (Previously, the bleeding stopped when antibiotics were given; and bleeding resumed after the course of antibiotics was over. Now, the bleeding BEGAN when she was already ON the antibiotics... which meant back to the drawing board - the bleeding was not due to the UTI after all. )

Long story short - she had a vaginal tumor that had grown to about 3cm diameter and was very vascular - as the tumor grew, it tore an artery and that was the source of the frank blood that leaked from her vulva.

I'm happy to report that she had a successful surgery (incl episiotomy) on Monday, stayed at the vet's overnight for observation, and came home last night... and she is doing very well!!!! She doesn't care for the Elizabethan collar, of course (although I've had a few laughs watching her learn how to navigate in it! heehee) - but hopefully it will be the last indignity she has to suffer on her way to complete HEALTH!

Abandonment & starvation, Heartworms, beginning of pneumonia due to the HW Trmt, intestinal worms, persistent UTI, and a vaginal tumor. This foster-turned-adopted dog is ready to be just a normal healthy dog!

Should have pathology results by Monday or Tuesday - lets hope the tumor is benign!

Give your four-legged family members an extra kiss and cuddle tonight, y'all ~ I hope they, and you, are well.