View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Sorry Lavendar Rott, I don't buy it. If an adult can't stop a 20lb dog from killing them, they shouldn't have a dog, or a cat or a rabbit IMO. A dog that size would be capable of killing a child or infant. Point being, if they can't handle a dog that size and aren't willing to get professional help, then don't adopt a dog. That's my opinion and I'll stick to it.

Cindy
And that attitude is the one that passes Breed Specific Legislation as opposed to actual dangerous dog laws. Until EVERY dog owner understands that their dog, under the right (or wrong) circumstances is more then capable of doing serious damage to another animal or a human being there will be dog bites.

So - I should never own a dog because I got bit by a cocker spaniel?!? The dog had lived in my home for years before he attempted to bite me when I tried to get MY sandwich out of HIS mouth.

I agree with the OP. This dog will not thrive in a home where he is not trusted. Can you honestly say that you could retrain a dog that went for your throat? Would you keep it around to see if it connects the next time?

And again - if this was a larger dog would your advice be the same?