View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2018, 09:48 PM

Hi again Hazel:

When it comes to making the cat food, I follow a recipe using a variety of meats and supplements, due to the fact that no meal is nutritionally complete, even in the wild. They have to eat protein from different animals, including bugs.

So if you're toying with the idea of feeding JD raw diet I'd suggest getting a few different recipes and finding one that you feel comfortable to use.

If you would like, I can email you some recipes for you to take a look at - knowing the fun you have accessing web sites.

We're lucky to live in an area where the neighbour "tosses food over the fence for the cats". The other day he dropped off some Moose sausages and steak for the cats to try. He said "here's some cat food, and you can have some too." So tonight they got a taste of raw Moose steak and Yogi growled at the other two. He must have read Longblades note.

As usual, he tried to swallow it whole and coughed a bit but didn't throw any back. Just looked for more.

Mrg just smelled it and walked away, and then BB took over and devoured it before Yogi could get to it. Mrg is 9 years and BB is 10 and Yogi will be 10 on May 1st.

They have also had a taste of sausage that I cooked for us for supper. And that went over big for all of them. They won't eat store bought.

It dawned on me that Yogi was never given necks when he was a young kitten - we just never thought of it. We were too busy looking after our late Missy with her problems, and giving them to her. So it's just in the past couple of years that he has been offered them occasionally. The same with Mrg. And it has only been in the past 4 years that they have been fed raw diet --- before that it was the kibble bit and canned food. I did raw with Missy for 10 years because her system required it. And it was a request by our vet at the time.

If you do decide to do the raw -------- go the extra mile and you'll have a much happier and healthier kitty cat. Canned food is better than dry food by a long shot, but raw is the cadillac.

I had a quick look at the web site that Barkingdog suggested and it looks quite interesting. Buying raw necks by the way they are packaged - would keep JD in necks until the cows come home unless you are willing to give them to the dogs as treats as well.