View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Doggie Wench

I wouldn't even be trying to walk her at this point. I think that it'll just confirm/strengthen her fears if she's forced to do something she's terrified of.

Are you able to break her concentration at all when she's focused on something? Even for a second? Does she have a favorite toy? If regular treats don't work, you can always try thinly slicing up hot dog wieners. If she likes them a lot, only use when you are outside and at no other time. I think feeding her her meals outdoors is also a great idea. Rather than bringing her bowl outside, feed her by hand so she has to face you. If she wants to look away, that's great, but as soon as she turns back to you, praise her.

We had a foster who was terrified like your pup. We started working with her indoors and our yard where she was comfortable. Stuff like "look" "sit" and "come." We practiced in all rooms and eventually moved it outside. Just in front of the main entrance, on the steps, at the bottom of the steps, three feet away, and gradually further and further away. If something frightened her, we could always count on the "look" or "come" cues to distract her. It's ok to have her look at things that frighten her but, you don't want her to focus on them while her anxiety builds.

In time your pup will adjust and become desensitized to what's frightening her now. I wish I could give you a time frame but each dog is different.