View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2009, 08:43 PM
chronically insane.

I had a run in with FeLV before. At this point and time, my opinion is to euthanize FeLV+ kittens. I do feel that if possible you should wait, retest and see if they have any clinical signs. In a shelter environment (what I am used to) I am 120% for euthanizing all positive kittens to keep it from spreading. I had found kittens last summer that were fine when I had them, but when I brought them to my shelter they picked up FeLV because a. my shelter doesn't mass test and b. they don't euthanize positive kittens.

So because of another kitten(s) being positive, my poor little guys caught it, got sick and died.

If your kittens are clinically healthy, I suggest either getting them into a FeLV/FIV rescue or if you have any way to really quarantine them in your house, you can do that too. Most adult cats have a built up immunity to FeLV and even when adult cats do get it, they are usually fine.

If you have no way to properly care for the kittens without spreading the virus to your other cats, I suggest humane euthanasia. It is sad, but I can say from experience that most FeLV kittens that test positive at a young age do not live normal lives. They usually just get sick fairly quickly and only go on to suffer.

There is really no clear cut answer, but you need to do what's right for

-Your other cats
-Your sanity
-The positive kittens