View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2014, 05:05 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi JG,

Welcome to the forum!
I'm sure others can provide additional info on this topic as I'm mostly a cat guy ( with dog experience )but a few things come to mind.

Simplest solution is always put shoes away in the exact same way as when dogs sniff/chew socks and panties. Training takes longer and it works - but the fastest solve is remove the temptation.

That deals with the temptation but what about those secret desires?
If the dog can't chew your shoe, what CAN the dog chew when he wants a good chew? Chewing is a normal activity for dogs, especially puppies. So u want the dog to chew, just not your shoes.
BTW - how old is dooger?

Saying "NO"! while catching dooger chewing might teach him that chewing shoes is bad. This "no" is a mild form of punishment. Punishing your dog in any way at any time other than 'in the act' is a complete waste of time as they cannot put the cause and effect together after a few seconds, let alone minutes or hours later.

But then dooger SHOULD be rewarded (especially at the beginning) as he's chewing something good...so make sure he has chew toys available.

Years ago I think I saw Dr. Stanley (noted psychologist and dog expert) Coren advise people to scent the "no" objects with repellent smells (perhaps even eucalyptus if memory serves ) and the yes objects with pleasant smells.. Just a thought.

Be curious to read what other members advise and good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter