View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:39 AM
~Cat Servent~

Ugh! Help! Food search has stalled out!

Ok, as some of you know, I have been feeding Medi-cal Hypo-Gastro Formula from the vets for about 6 months now. Fagan may have had a problem with the food (Nutro-glad now) and the litter (World's Best Corn- although I loved it). The factor that was in both and taken away was corn, so his allergy may be that simple, however it may also be the chicken or turkey as those are both big allergies for cats. His legs are healing and I don't want to chance him starting that mess all over again. And feeding 6, the vet food and prices are not the best.

So here is my dillema.

I am hearing that Medi-cal is also not a very high quality food, and I would like to switch to something better and more natural. The problem is the majority that I have found all have chicken or turkey as their main ingredients. Also I have already tried Wellness and Windy did not react well to it at all, and I have tried Blue Buffalo (haven't heard anyone mention that one here- which I take as a bad sign) but they liked that too much and it has a looooong list of ingredients that I'm not sure are necessary.
Felidae is all about poultry as are just about all the others I have seen mentioned on here.

What I am wondering is have any of you in your cat food research found anything that is made from duck and rice like the Medi-cal or fish? Or have any suggestions for more places I could look?

For now they have to stay on the vet diet but I need an alternative to $35 for an 8lb bag which lasts only a week and a half to 2 weeks ( so we are at about $80-100 on food a month and about a $100 in wheat litter plus vet bills~ and I will make it work cause my babies are so worth every penny but it would be nice to save a few bucks somewhere). I don't mind continuing with the wet food as only Buddy and Fagan will eat it and it took me forever to find a wet food any of these finicky kitties would at least try. For most including the wellness, Smoke and the others usually try to bury it like it smells poopy. The only one they all agree on is tuna which I don't give too often.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions guys....

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M