View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
exactly Cassiek , and as long as people KNOW what they're feeding their pets. I don't care if someone is feeding cheap food , as long as they know it's cheap food. not tell me or think , that it's a great food. And what ever the budget , there's always a way to feed them a good diet.
That's so true, Frenchy. I think a lot of people feed whatever is the cheapest because they feel that they can't afford to feed any better. But really there are so many options out there, which is why I think it's so important to do some research. There are kibbles out there (i.e. Kirkland from Costco) that are a much better alternative than IAMS or the like. A homemade raw food diet can also be made cheaper with a little bit of effort than most kibbles. People really need to do their research... 4 cups a day of a cheap food, compared to 2 cups a day of a more expensive higher quality food usually work out to be the same price.

IMO, feed what you want, but like you said don't pretend it's something it's not. Be realistic. For me the only proof I need is the ingredient list. In my books if it contains a lot of grains and mysterious meats its out! I also like to support my local economy as much as possible, and buy products that are made close to home. I work in the poultry industry and have seen at the processors what chicken parts are ending up in dog food like IAMS... all I can say is

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama