View Single Post
Old October 23rd, 2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'm not sure what the signs of IBD in cats are, but the symptoms you've mentioned so far don't sound like what we saw in Evan. We saw bloody diarrhea, weight loss, and eventually a tarry stool in Evan. But again, I have no experience with cats. We used prednisolone in Evan to control the inflammation and switched him to the new diet, then weaned him off the steroids. Eventually, we were able to control the IBD with diet alone. We used a mix of Purina HA and Hills Z/D--it looked like really awful ingredients to me, but the hydrolized protein diet worked.

Have you considered taking your cat to a veterinary internist? We were referred to one at a local veterinary teaching hospital and they diagnosed the IBD and helped us tailor the treatment....
You're right - I'm doing more reading on IBD.. and yeah, it seems diarrhea is one of the main symptoms I don't know what to think now.

I don't want to be one of those people who thinks they know more than a vet - because I clearly don't, but I also have to trust my gut and question things when they don't seem to fit.

The good news is - the vet called and all bloodwork came back perfectly fine, he's absolutely healthy except for the constipation. They've given him 2 enemas and he's already started to pass some of the stuff, so they are hopeful that by tomorrow he will have emptied himself out, or may just need a 3rd to finish up the job (and avoid having to put him under for the manual dig out!)