View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis13g View Post
So basically im asking you guys what do you think you would do and/or any opinions that you might have. Would you take the chance (which they say is that 1/100 cats will develop it and die but who knows if thats even correct) or not.
Welcome to the forum. Sorry about the loss of your cat, as Sugarcatmom said FIP is such a terrible disease.

I have 4 cats and over the last 20 years I have had several more that unfortunately died of one thing or another. If it were me, I would get another cat, but as SCM said I would make sure it's an adult, though I know how cute kittens are. If it's an adult cat, it will have resistance to the infection and be much less likely to contract it from your brother's cat.

If you get one, I would make sure the new cat has her/his own litter box maybe using the litter that they are used to wherever you get the cat from. That way hopefully your brother's cat will continue to use his/her litter box and will not venture into your cat's litter box. If you both try to keep them very clean by cleaning them several times a day, your cat should stay healthy.

As an adult I have had more males than females, but in my limited exposure to female cats I have noticed that my females have been more fastidious about their litter boxes than the males are. I hope this helps you make a decision. Good luck