View Single Post
Old March 2nd, 2017, 03:20 AM

Endless Tests - No Answers

Some of you will be familiar with me at this stage as I have posted a number of times about my dog Millie (12+ y.o. spayed female terrier mix). She has undergone extensive testing at this point and I am no nearer to finding a diagnosis that would enable me to help her.
To date hypothyroidism (tested by Dr Dodds), Cushing's, Addison's, mange, ringworm, yeast and vasculitis (by biopsy) have all been ruled out and her results were normal in all tests.
But she continues to lose hair from her ears leaving blackening skin behind (it has worsened since the pictures I have attached were taken), has blackening of the skin on her abdomen like hundreds of flat black spots and has completely lost the hair on her elbows and ankles leaving only black roughened skin behind. She scratches occasionally but not excessively.
She continues to lick vigoursly at her groin/vulva area and its get so bad at times during the night that she can soak the bed down to the mattress with saliva - it is pitiful to see her doing this and be unable to help her I tried attached a picture of her vulva/groin during a licking episode but it exceeded the size limits. It happens during the day often also.
She also had extremely bad breath, which is most apparent when she barks rather than when she licks me. I often have to turn away from her when she barks up at me to ask to go outside to pee/poop and it breaks my heart to do this. The bad breath is all the time and not just after a licking episode.
She occasionally has a mucous around her stool, but not all the time. Her diet is Acana Light and Fit with a homemade topper of chicken/carrot/broccoli cooked in the crock pot with Campbells no salt broth. As a change I give her refridgerated Vital Freshpet beef/bison/blueberry chubbs/tubes for dinner, which she loves.
She is on a 1mg Metacam tablet daily for degenerative disc disease in her back and until very recently was on Clomicalm 20mg as a trial to see if it might calm her licking during the night - it had no effect whatsoever.
Her vet is totally baffled by her and appears to have run out of options on what to do or how to help. There is only one certified veterinary dermatologist in Calgary, where we live, and there is a 6 -8 month waiting list for an appointment
I am at my wits end at this point - I just want to help my dog. She is a rescue from a bad situation and I have had her for 8 years this month. We brought her (and my other dog) with us from Ireland when we moved to Canada four years ago - they both mean the world to us.
I would appreciate any advice, opinions, recommendations or even suggestions on where I could take her to get her some help.
I apologise for the very long post but I feel that the more information I give the more light it may shed on her situation.
Thank you all for reading this.
Attached Images