Thread: To Whip or Not?
View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
I don't know so much, Gail. I still have the scar on my arm from a bite from a big pony that used to charge people and bite them. Not the only horse I have seen like it, another was a palomino hack that was a terrorist in the stables at our big Royal shows, wanting to bite everyone who walked past, while another was a racehorse. Now, how are you , any of you, going to stop a determined and nasty horse? If those people walk into the paddock in 5 minutes time and that horse attacks again, what should they do? I mean after they pick themselves up or make it let go of them? Oh, just remembered another one, a galloway mare that had the staff at the stud I worked at scared stiff of her. One person would feed her carrots while another bolted over to her shelter shed and put the feed in, they were too scared to just feed her normally. These horses have no respect whatsoever once they start meaning to do harm. BUT, seeing that Erykah is talking about a newbie owner, my first question must be did the horse really charge them, or instead canter up wanting to be fed, or seeking some attention? If so, and they hit or startled it for that, then I'd like to take the whip to them,. not the horse.
Even with disrespectful or nasty horses, using a whip of any kind to beat them after the fact isn't going to teach them anything. Other options? in the case of a horse hanging it's head out of a stall and biting anyone that walks past, instead of having an open doorway have one with bars to the horse can't hang it's head out. No more biting passer-bys. Out in an open field or paddock...if a horse is that bad, I wouldn't enter without carrying a buggy whip or lunge whip to use to make the horse keep it's distance. I used to board a horse that seemed to like rushing past me when my hands were full carrying feed buckets or bales of hay. And he'd encourage another one to do it too...the pair of them would rush up behind me, split and run one on each side of me bucking and kicking. Lucky I didn't get my head taken off. I simply started carrying a buggy whip when going out to feed and they respected my space. If necessary for my own safety I would not have hesitated to use it but these weren't mean horses, they were just acting stupid so just carrying it was enough. One of those horses can be quite pushy and I've tapped the whip on his chest to make him back up out of my space...I've also use it to rub and scratch them while they're eating so they learn that it isn't something to be scared of, merely respected when carried a certain way.

As you said, it's about respect, or lack of it. Respect doesn't just happen, it has to be taught. Beating doesn't garner respect, only fear.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com