View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Swift Tribe

hahaha we dont worry about 'germs'. its highly unlikely your cats will get sick from that unless you do things like mixing grains/veggies in with the raw meat. then it slows the meat processing down and gives it a chance for the bacteria to get a foot hold, thus making them sick.

we literally chop up their meat (chicken, corning game hens, turkey- in the future some rabbit maybe) and organs into meal sized pieces and let them do their damage. for example i will cut up a whole chicken into 6 or 7 pieces (leaving the back whole for the dog) and feed them a piece daily each. every 3 days or so (because mine are finicky eaters) i make a fish/clam/oyster/liver/egg/gizzard mix for them to get their organ meats down. for treats they get a little kibble on the side or once a week or so. on and off through out the week they get whole chicken heart (lots of taurine although all muscle meat contains it to some degree). oh and we are aiming on going with whole rabbit once a week but need to get a freezer first. we have also tossed around feeder mice/rats once a week to get at least one meal as 'whole prey'. i woudl suggest it although their health hasnt lacked any.

the way i see it is this- wild animals dont take supplements. make sure they get a variety of meats and organs and their bodies will take care of the rest. when feeding raw, think 'week' instead of 'day' on the whole balanced idea.

anyways, read up on the subject. get as much information as possible so that you understand what possible health issues can arise from feeding raw. there arent very many Do's but there are quite a few Dont's!!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)