View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2019, 11:15 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Howdy, Reg/Ev.

Luckily, Grace can't reach the spot to lick it. It's a red patch that has been there since late April, high on her neck just inches below her jaw. The vets thought it looked like a hot spot that never fully developed because she couldn't reach it to irritate it. It doesn't seem to itch--she doesn't scratch it--and it never bled or even wept. It started out at about a 5-inch by 4-inch patch and has improved to about a 2-inch by 3-inch past and isn't quite as red and angry looking, but it just won't heal.

The vets did scrapings but no mites. It didn't respond to antibiotics (cefpodoxime). The Quadritop ointment helped a little. Now the current theory is some sort of fungal infection, so they switched her to fluconazole, which did make a noticeable difference.

growler reminded me that colloidal silver can be good for skin problems, so I went to GNC to get it, and found Trace (the only brand they carried) Colloidal Silver Spray. It doesn't have much, if any, color--it might be slightly gray-blue tinted, but that could just be shadow, too--if it's colored at all, it's nearly unnoticeable. It's listed as 30 ppm and is evidently usually just sprayed under the tongue as a dietary supplement. But I want to try it topically if I can before I try to pump anything else into poor Grace.

She has an appointment next week with the traveling dermatologist that comes to our clinic, so we're hoping the vet can at least figure out what it is, if not suggest a better treatment for it. But I'd like to try the colloidal silver, too--I don't think it will hurt anything, and if it helps, well, more power to it!

You can kind of see the patch on Grace's left neck (she's the little girl on the right ) in this shot. The area is pink because it's shaved, but you might be able to pick out the slightly darker patch in the middle of the bald spot:

Name:  Lili and Grace in the big yard 7-11-19 A.jpg
Views: 2027
Size:  123.4 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."