View Single Post
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
Okay... but still for health benefits one would think such an educated society of people would understand that? It's still a good idea to spay and neuter regardless of where you are.... cancers, pyometras etc are equally deadly no matter where you live. A dog of that age who has gone into multiple heats is a prime example of a dog at risk for a pyometra.
Not quite true, it's more likely the middle aged bitch that hasn't been bred from that is most at risk, not one that is just 2 1/2 , though I know a pyometra could strike after any heat if you were really unlucky. Hypothyroidism - yes, my sheltie boy got patches of dark skin, but golly, even more noteworthy were the facts that he became grossly fat and lost his coat. Nagini, if there are no signs of that then a trip to the vet would set your mind at ease.

Mikischo, funny you should say this ....

It is their unquestioned societal norm for pet owners to control their pets' reproduction.

It's the same here in Australia, but then as I've tried to tell people here, we do not have this overpopulation problem anywhere near as badly as in Canada.