View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybubbles65 View Post
My 7 month old Border Collie mix loves to mouth. We're thinking of keeping a muzzle on her until she figures out that when she bites, the muzzle goes on and when she doesn't bite it stays off. Thoughts on this? Other suggestions?
I would love to have a border collie myself so I can understand why you chose this one. HOWEVER, It seems like you chose a pet based on what you like rather than one that fits your life style and living conditions.
The border collie naturally wants to herd. That's what they are bred for. Forcing an animal to be something else out of character is just asking for problems.

I had a similar problem with a Jack Russell Terrier. At my age I found that she was just too energetic for me. I loved that little dog more than I have ever loved a pet but I had to be honest, it was just not fair to her for me to keep her.
I ran an ad on Craig's List and found several people that were eager to have her. ( I did not sell her nor charge a re-homing fee. I had spent several hundred dollars on her. ) I selected the family that I thought was best able to care for her and give her a loving home. I talk with them frequently to see how she is doing.
I now have two Toy Poodles which are much better suited for me at my age and life style.

I would urge anyone to do your homework. Choose a pet that will fit your family for a long time.
Please don't try to remake a pet into something they are not.