View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:32 AM

OMG! thank you so much for taking the time to type this. You don't know how much it means to me that you and all the other women have come to help.

Not vaccinated within the last 4 months. He was neutered 5/15/09 along with a Lyme vaccine. I was so worried since I have it and know what it's doing to me. His birth date was 10/20/08 so he was almost 7 months.

I had frontlined him 3 times 6 weeks apart but stopped because I want to find another way to treat ticks and fleas other then a pesticide transdermal. He is also taking a heart worm med. He just took this on Friday so could this be also the cause of not really eating? I was told I could either just give this to him for the 6 warmer months and stop and restart again after the winter or I could keep him on this year round. What do you suggest?

I did notice that he had a very small scab where he was neutered. I didn't think too much about it and to tell the truth I forgot about it because it was so small. When I felt it again I took a closer look. Not easy but when I looked real close with glasses I noticed that he had 2 stitches that did not dissolved that I needed to remove. (I have the proper items to do this) No open cut and I washed the area rechecked the next day and it was fine.

We noticed that he was licking himself which he never did before and this went on for a bit before I called the vet. His activity level did not change in fact other then the licking nothing changed. No accidents in the house nor did he run a fever. When I took him in this is when the UTI's started. The licking started after he was neutered. About 2 weeks later.

1. Where do I purchase the Acidolphilus pills? Right now he is on :

Clavamox (Amoxicillin trihydrate/clavulanate potassium) 62.5 mgs 2x's a day for 30 days
Baytril 68 mgs 1 a day for 15 days
Ammonil 1 tablet 2x's a day (this is to bring down his PH which was 10) for 15 days

Sace eats as you can tell from the weight 13 lbs at 11 months old. He is just not really eating now. He also won't eat if I put food down and remove it. I did this for 2 months and he would not eat. I leave dry kibble down all the time and he gets 1 cup a day. If there is dry kibble left, at dinner time that is what I mix his meat with after soaking it. He gets NO people food. No cookies, no pieces of toast, no sandwich, NOTHING. I know that there are many things that a human can eat that is dangerous to a dog. My kids are older 13 and 19 so they too understand this. The only people food he gets are the carrots or the meat that I cook for him and that's not everyday but as a treat. It's not left overs from us it's his own meat. We were also told to put his meds in cheese so that he will take it. Nothing else.

I am extremely careful about what is in his food. NO SOY, WHEAT, CORN, BHA, RED #40, See below. His treats are Merrick dried beef or Natural Balance dog bones (turkey, cranberry, oatmeal) or Zuke's chicken flavor treats or carrots. That's it.

Believe me he has been to the Vet. I'm now around 800.00 in vet visits and meds. I keep an eye on his gums to make sure they are wet and pink. The moment I see this changing I will have them give me IV fluids to give to him but up until now they told me it wasn't needed. This light drinking has been for 7 months. He has been to the vet over 9 times. I keep a folder with all his tests and information. When he was neutered I had his blood work done due to being put under and I wanted to know if the Kidney's could handle it. Most will pass on this. I did not.

I did not know about the omega's for dogs. I had bought the krill oil for my hubby due to the Mercury that can be found in trace amounts in fish oil or fresh fish. How much do I give him and how?

Here is what is in his food:

Chicken, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Oatmeal, Barley, Salmon Meal, Potatoes, Carrots, Chicken Fat (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols), Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Canola Oil, Brewers Yeast, Duck, Salmon Oil, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Spinach, Parsley Flakes, Cranberries, L-Lysine, L-Carnitine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

If you have another suggestion please advise. I know you mentioned raw food diet.

Yes I just found that out about the discharge. Like I said it's our first dog so this is all new to me and I want to get it right. I take care of him like I would our children. Yes I know he's a dog but he's a part of this family and we all love him.

I hope this helped giving you more info. I printed out your post and will follow this and I hope this will help.

I'm very against antibiotic use. I think too many over use this drug. I will only use this if I have too and there is nothing other that I can take. I had to take doxy for 4 months at a very high dose for Lyme prior to that I hadn't been on any for over 10 yrs. The same stands true with our children. I'm a firm believer in Vitamin D.

Last edited by jasp615; September 22nd, 2009 at 12:31 PM.