View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2011, 10:51 PM

Lightbulb Cat Food "Beginner"

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, I found it because I've been doing a lot of reading about cat food. Currently our five cats are on free-choice dry food, which I've recently learn is not the healthiest form of feeding! We are considering switching to a wet food diet but I'm trying to learn all I can about it before making the switch. I've always fed my cats a diet of dry food, but recently we lost our beloved Siamese Sassy to kidney failure which I have learned can be caused by the dry food, we would like to make the switch for the health of our cats. Also, we have been fostering a cat for a rescue which I think we would like to adopt, except he is very overweight and has gained 2lbs since being in our care over the past 3 months. I'm worried for his health and only would like to adopt him if we can provide him with a healthy feeding regime to help him lose weight.

Our cats:

Damien - 5 year old male siamese (good weight) 12lbs
Dublin - 5 year old female siamese (slightly over weight) 13lbs
Digby - 2 year old male tabby (good weight) 12 lbs
Dewey - 2 year old male DSH (good weight) 14 lbs
Eddison - 6 year old male DSH(very over weight!) 19 lbs

Now my questions, I have been reading a lot and they talk about why wet food is better for cats but not a lot about how to feed it.

How often should you feed a cat ideally? Is it better to feed more small meals or just twice daily?

How much to feed each cat for maintaining a good weight? And for losing weight?

What brand do you feed you cat(s)?

Thank you for your time!