View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon W View Post
Dont get me wrong not putting down the breed,they are fierce.The dog could have also been lost or in a panic and acting irrationally(COULD HAVE).I believe it is not the dogs fault,had it of been leashed it would have been a controlled situation. Yes their jaws along with all terriers are well developed for their structures. ITs too bad it went this far.
Brandon W, my post was in no way intended to contradict your information, it just happened to post below yours. If I wrote anything that offended you, it was not intentional and I'm sorry. I do agree with what you wrote. Scotties don't have the strongest jaws in the dog world, but for their size, they are powerful and the teeth larger than most dogs of this weight. It is the owner's fault beyond any question. I've seen the ripping power of these jaws directed towards plush squeak toys and it isn't pretty. I don't remember the television show, but a program had a section about Jack Russel terriers as ratters. They showed several JRs in a rat infested barn. The dogs would grab a rat, give one shake, then toss the dead, bloody rat aside. It was fascinatingly gruesome and showed the strength of a dog's bite coupled with the power of the head shaking while holding the prey.

Iluvmylab, I'm glad you don't hold any animosity towards Scotties. Sadly, you will never know what could have provoked the attack (fear from being lost, nasty temper, illness, injured, etc.) I do agree, idiot owners need to be banned. The media only wants to go after certain breeds. From information I've read the Dachshund is the top on the biter list. Had your bite been from one of the persecuted breeds, you would have been on the nightly news.