View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:27 PM

I am so sorry this happened to you. Permanent hand damage, surgery, rabies shots and having your child witness this. This is my breed and an attack like this is hard for me to read about. I have a true passion for these dogs, but there are bad ones. A Scottie with a nasty temperament is a horrible dog. While I want to think maybe this dog was sick, I know that some are just mean, nasty biters. Yes, the dog may be small (18-24 pounds typically), but these are fierce dogs with mouths that are huge for their bodies. My first Scottie was a large boy (30 pounds) and my vet always said he had the mouth and teeth of a German Shepherd. These dogs were bred to take on foxes and badgers inside the underground dens. Scotties are very strong dogs and dogs that when they start something will do everything in their power to finish it.

I am sorry that the owner was attacked too, but it was highly irresponsible to have this dog unleashed, so she does bear responsibility. It breaks my heart that you had to experience this breed at its worse. And it angers me that the owner didn't attempt to do the right things and provide the dog's medical records, and assume responsibility for your medical expenses. Sadly, you will have both physical and mental scars from this.

I love Scotties, but never forget the power and potential damage these jaws can give.