View Single Post
Old April 23rd, 2010, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
She is not a back-yard breeder, I found her in Dogs in Canada Annual.
Unfortunately I think you've learned a sad lesson. While Dogs in Canada Annual is the premier issue for the magazine and a subscription to it is provided with membership in the CKC the CKC itself does not "inspect, certify, endorse or recommend any breeders." #1

"The best way to ensure that you are dealing with a reputable breeder is to visit them in person - ask to see where the puppies are kept and speak with people who have purchased dogs from them." #2

#1 and #2 are quotes from the 2010 Dogs Annual magazine, Directory of Breeders, page 133. That's all they say about the breeders and the question of reputable. I could not find even that on the webpage.

Further, Dogs in Canada Annual lists breeds and breeders the CKC does not recognize. Obviously these breeders will not have to adhere to even the CKC's meagre requirements. Your breed of course is recognized.

Some breeders do believe it is not safe for puppy to be exposed to strange dogs or places strange dogs might have been before all vaccinations are complete. That might be around 3 months or 4 months depending which vaccine your Vet uses. I have never heard of anyone saying to wait a year.

A growing body of evidence exists to suggest that puppies need to be exposed to all manner of people, places, things and dogs as early as possible in order to properly socialize them at what is viewed as a critical period. This is to avoid fearful or aggressive reactions in later life. Dr. R. K. Anderson's Socialization Letter advances this idea.

I think many of us try to work out a compromise between isolation from potential disease and the need to socialize. You have been given some very good ideas above on how to achieve this. I think your own ideas are bang on and better than this breeders.