View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2014, 09:10 PM
You can call me DOG!

Question Addison's Disease

Addison's Disease in Dogs. Has anyone every experienced this or currently has a dog diagnosed with Addison's?

My daughter's Great Pyrenees (Layla) became abruptly ill on Thursday while visiting us in Canada (she lives in the U.S). Couldn't walk or stand, very lethargic and was vomiting all night. While she took her to an emergency vet that evening, the speculation was that she had an obstruction in her intestines. The after hours clinic gave her a sedative but all-in-all, it was a rough night.

The next morning, we took her to our regular vet (in Canada) who immediately put her on IV due to dehydration and she wasn't able to stand or walk.

Our vet ordered a CBC with the result coming in today. Her Lipase reading was somewhat high at 1128 while a normal reading should be between 138-755. This lead him (the Vet) to believe she has some sort of inflammation of the Pancreas but because she responded very quickly to the IV and bounced back to feeling better, he doesn't think the problem is with the Pancreas however; other readings from the results has lead him to Addison's, (high Potassium, low Na/K Ratio, Low Sodium, etc.).

After researching information about Addison's, Layla fits all the symptoms. In any event, my daughter will be taking her to her normal vet after their visit here but we're just sitting at the kitchen table researching about this disease and so far, getting information overload!

What better place than to reach out to PETS.CA for help and guidance.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)