View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
So if a dog from a "responsible" breeder ends up in a shelter (owners die, owners get divorced, etc, etc.) and those who go to "responsible" breeders, rather than to the shelter to get a dog, that dog sitting in the shelter doesn't die?

Somebody who truly (and I mean truly) cares for a breed and not just their "superior" pups, does not want any of those dogs dieing in shelters, it's not the dog's fault they were born to unhealthy parents.

The other thing I get from this article, is if you find a purebred in a shelter, then it must be unhealthy, because healthy purebreds are only gotten from
responsible breeders and they do NOT end up in shelters contributing to the overpopulation of dogs/cats. There is such a stigma already attached to "shelter" dogs/cats and I don't think this article helps it.

To me, there is only one way to NOT kill a shelter dog and that is to adopt from a shelter.
Interesting because that is not what I get when I read that article. I believe she is saying that either adopt from rescue or pound etc OR only buy from a responsible breeder. It is the byb and irresponsible breeders that contribute to the problem. Her defination of a responsible breeder also includes one that demands a dog is returned to her if the owners cannot keep.

http://blacksheepcardigans.com/ruff/...ould-have-had/
http://blacksheepcardigans.com/ruff/...rom-a-bad-one/

I actually regularly read that blog and imo she has some amazing advice and an incredible love for dogs. Unfortunately she also recently redesigned the blog which makes it harder to find some of the great posts but it is worth the time to read through a lot of the information.

I am in the process of purchasing from a responsible breeder. I have researched my breed of choice (vizsla) and the breeders. I could have easily got a puppy last year when we lost Lucy but I have chosen to wait until I could get a puppy from a responsible breeder. I know what to look for in large part from the wonderful information I have learned from this forum as well as from blogs such as the one posted here. I do understand and respect your opinion but please don't imply that I do not love the breed or dogs or I am an awful person if I buy instead of rescue.