Thread: Dietary Advice
View Single Post
Old September 17th, 2018, 06:28 PM

Pork has high fat content and it takes a longer time for dogs to digest - both of those reasons would make me stay away from it for a dog that has digestion issues. Pork liver is also used in a lot of the canned foods including veterinary diets, even when there's no other pork in the food and it may just be listed as "liver".

A year ago my cat was in the vet hospital she was given a specific veterinary formula canned food while there. The clinic knows she's allergic to pork, so they were careful what she was given. The day after she started to have a reaction after coming back from the clinic. I called that veterinary brand about that one specific cat formula and asked what the "liver" was specifically, they told me for that formula it was pork liver. Pork wasn't mentioned on the label at all. So you do have to be very careful about not only what's on the label but also what's not on the label.

Some animals that are reactive to chicken may be reactive to turkey where others aren't reactive to it.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying