View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2011, 08:29 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Maybe I am just an over the top dog owner or something, however I wonder why people allow their dogs that close to strange dogs in the first place.
When I'm walking my gang together it is VERY easy for them to get worked up off of each other. Meiko has a high prey drive and would be the cause for many o fights with both strange dogs and with in the group of dogs he lives with. For this exact reason I do not get anywhere near strange dogs on our walks.
If we encounter one we just keep on going by as though nothign is there.
First off, I am walking 6 dogs, one extra dog that they don't know will spark a fight no doubt in my mind and if said dog was to come out at my guys and a fight occured and one of them killed it there is no way I would put mine down. This is a different circumstance than the article however, in my scenario I'm talking 6 leashed and one loose.
I understand that cities are far more crowded than town or country walking but I have walked the dogs in all sorts of dog walking fund raising events such as the local Paws for a Cause ect. Some people on those walks with their flexi leads and small dogs running 15feet ahead of them could have caused some chaos in my group had Meiko been there. I dont know if he has predatory drift or what ever, but he views anything small as fair game ( even larger things sometimes) main reason for him to not come to these sort of walks.
Around here he is great, he loves the cats and has never in his life killed anything other than a groundhog once but my point being...
Why do people allow nose to nose contact in the first place?
It doesn't say whos dog went to who's dog and an 11 year old really wouldn't have that judegement. Yet another crappy story with many variables and sadly the "Pitbull" loses with out a doubt yet again. Poor kid too, I mean no matter what the circumstances to this attack were and where the blame really lies, no one especially a kid should ever have to witness that