View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2008, 03:54 AM

Unhappy New puppy taking over, bullying other dog... HELP please!

Hi, I'm new around these parts, and felt compelled to join as I recently got a new puppy (a month and a half ago), and she seems to be bullying my other dog.

I brought my dog from Canada to Italy with me when I made the move in the Spring, she is a Boston Terrier and almost 3 years old. She is used to moving around and didn't and doesn't seem to bothered by the move. She has perviously lived with other dogs, and gets along well with every dog she meets (she'll run up sniff them and want to play right away).

I got Etna, the puppy who is about 4 or 5 months now, she won't leave the other one alone. Piggy (I know, but it's not her real name!) has been peeing on my bed, she is covered with scratches and bite marks, she won't eat her food unless I sit on the floor beside her and keep Etna away! I am so worried!

I know the peeing is a territorial thing, and I don't punish her just tell her 'no' firmly and make her get off the bed. But she does it during the day when I'm at work. And Etna can't get onto the bed because she's so little. Pig does nothing when Etna bites her, she has become more distant/independent when she used to ALWAYS be at my heels even when I was taking a shower.

I am really worried for the poor thing. Etna is a little rascal, like all small pups, but in no way worse than Pig was when she was little. In fact, she is pretty much trained to only go to the bathroom outside, but will go in the house when she can't hold it (obviously she can't for long at her age), but will look really upset and hide after doing it inside.

If someone could please give me some advice! And I don't think it's that Pig just doesn't like her, becuase they play together all the time, and Pig will sit by Etna's side licking her face, and they sleep cuddling.

Is this just a bratty stage? Will Pig regain her dominance, or is it possible she was never dominant to begin with?

Anything at all would help so much, thanks!!!