View Single Post
Old July 9th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Sorry to burst everyon'es bubble...but Hills is a great brand for your pet. Since in my line of profession I work with a ton of vets and so on.

ACO22
Ahhh, but therein lies the issue. The education most vets receive on the topic of animal nutrition is extremely limited, and is most often provided by the very pet food companies that end up stocking the shelves of their clinics. Not to mention that around 20% of an average clinic's annual income comes from the sale of such food. Since you apparently didn't read the link above, here's a snippet for you:

Quote:
Who's sponsoring any of the studies on animal nutrition? "A lot of the research is funded by the industry. We have to be very grateful, really, to the industry, because there is no federal funding for dietary studies in pets. Unless [that funding comes with] strings attached." When pressed to confide which companies are applying such pressure, Hoenig stays mum.

It's a point that gets raised at the Cecil Street meet by host MPP Rosario Marchese. He tells NOW, "University of Guelph is the main veterinary college in Ontario, and it has no nutritionist teaching in the [core curriculum]. Companies like Hill's and Royal Canin/Medi-Cal provide the only nutritional information that veterinary students receive, including free products. That is a problem."

Indeed, Marchese is tabling a private member's bill this week that will require Ontario post-secondary schools to report annually on all private donations they receive and come clean on any agreements signed between them and the private sector to smoke out just such connections.

Marion Smart, clinical studies and nutrition prof at Saskatoon's Western College of Veterinary Medicine, has surveyed every accredited veterinary college on the continent and found a similar pattern almost everywhere. "The pet food industry has seen this void and filled it by sponsoring and supporting nutrition programs in colleges. If the educators aren't willing to take hold of it, in a way the pet food industry is doing a service and a disservice to veterinarians."
I mean really, just take a look at the T/D ingredients that I posted above. How can that possibly be good for an animal that was designed to eat MEAT? There's wood pulp in it, for crying out loud! You may work with a bunch of vets, but I've actually done extensive research on feline nutrition for the past 4.5 years, ever since my own cat became diabetic ! If you are at all interested in learning more for yourself, and for the betterment of your cat, might I suggest this website: http://www.catinfo.org/ actually written by a vet, if that makes it more credible for you.

Last edited by Ford; May 4th, 2010 at 10:37 AM.