View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
Your off topic now. But Marty gets lots of other proteins. That is her main meal. We eat meat protein and she gets many different kinds as well. Saying that I may get some raw beef and mix it in with her chicken. Thanks
It's not off topic Marty, diet is probably the number one reason for poor coat health and itch. This is the very reason why we make a switch to raw from kibble. I'm sorry, but I've seen many well meaning owners switch their dog to raw and do it incorrectly. Malnourishment can quickly lead to immunity issues, gut issues, overall health issues. Dogs need a full range of organ meats to balance out the diet, many are feeding just liver and it's not enough. Or too much liver, what do you think too much iron does to the body? Hemochromatosis. What are the possible repercussions and side effects...

Some others are following poor advice from commercial raw producers, and supplementing with stuff like kelp, it's an iodine overload. Iodine will mess with the thyroid, autoimmune, the result will be an itchy dog. Trust me, chased thyroid in a dog for 3 years, watched the poor bugger rip itself apart - finally got diagnosis.

Dogs don't need vegetables or fruit, many contain sugars and carbs that promote yeast - hence the itch.

then throw steroids at the problem, steroids suppress the dogs immune system - and again, mucks with the thyroid. Now you're on a merry go round that you can't get off of.