View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2011, 02:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Low light, fast shutter speeds

This winter I've been trying to figure out the manual settings on the camera but I'm running into a problem with low natural light. The sun is, of course, low because of the season but it's also usually obscured by clouds and/or swirling snow, so the natural light has been extremely low.

I was hoping to get some shots of goldfinches taking off (we have 200 or so around lately and I thought it might make a neat pic when they all swirl up at once) but even with a fast shutter speed, I'm having trouble with the low light. Should I be monkeying with ISO at the same time?

I'm almost desperate enough for lighting that I'm considering putting the external flash (which I've never used ) to work.

(If it helps, I'm shooting a Nikon D90.)

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."